Project: Monkeys in South Africa
Volunteer with monkeys in Africa; The sanctuary, which is the first of its kind in South Africa, has been running since 1996. The sanctuary rescues and provides permanent care for any primate from anywhere in the world. The sanctuary receives a constant stream of requests to assist in the international rescue of primates. Many of these primates (mainly hand reared ex-pets and ex laboratory animals) arrive with behavioral problems and require rehabilitation from psychological disorders. The sanctuary houses exotic primates, who are unable to be returned to the wild, and therefore their time and focus is aimed at ensuring all enclosures are as suitable and comfortable for each individual as possible.
- Minimum age for participation is 18 years old, unless accompanied by a parent/caregiver.
- Volunteers must be in reasonable physical condition.
- There are no vaccinations required at this project but we recommend you to be vaccinated against Tetanus (DTP). (For additional vaccines and/or information we advise you to visit your local clinic).
|Period||Price per person|
|1 week||€ 375,00|
|2 weeks||€ 615,00|
|3 weeks||€ 855,00|
|4 weeks||€ 1.095,00|
|every extra week||€ 250,00|
|prices are valid for the said periods in the year 2017|
- Use of volunteer kitchen
- Working equipment
- A donation to the project
- Training and supervision
- Administration costs
Accommodation at the sanctuary is quite basic. The volunteer house consists of 4 dorms, a seating area, a braai (BBQ) area, a kitchen, 4 toilets and 2 showers. There are also outdoor areas with picnic benches.
- Food preparation;
- Feeding the primates and cleaning their enclosures;
- General monitoring of unstable primates and record keeping;
- Enclosure building and general grounds maintenance;
- Introductions and monitoring of unfamiliar primates;
- Relocating and monitoring of primates to new enclosures at the sanctuary;
- Providing enrichment
- There is also ‘monkey time’ which allows you to spend time with the primates and get to know them!
You will work 5 days a week and have 2 days off each week.
The project is set in a bush field surrounding just outside of Pretoria, which is approximately 45 minutes drive north of Johannesburg. The volunteer house is based within centre so you are only a walk away from the primates.
Volunteers can use their free time to relax in the sun. There is also the opportunity to make some nice excursions like the Kruger National Park making a safari to spot the ‘big 5’, visit the rhino and lions reserve, visit the elephant sanctuary, visit many museums, etc. (Excursions add additional costs and can be arranged for you at the project site).
You will be responsible for arranging your own transport to Johannesburg, South Africa. After you’ve booked your journey, detailed travel information will be given.